Sunday, July 04, 2010

Books of the Month Club - July 2010

August 1, 2011
Big news this month is that Orca Book Publishers has picked up STALKER to be published spring 2011 in their Currents series. Busy at work with various grant deadlines, and prospect research for our new Kensington Prairie Childcare Centre (based on the Emilio Reggio model) that opens Jan 2011. And at home trying to tie up a couple of WIPs prior to getting stuck into some personal arts grant applications that I need to file before we head out to the UK on Sept. 16.
One of my bookcases, July 2010
Chocolate Lily Award (and one remaining chocolate) top shelf left, KM = Knuckles McGraw on third, and on the shelf between them, a pic of my dad Bill Peterson taken in Spain (left) and me on the top of Mount Sinai (right)
Email me a pic or two of your bookshelves and I'll post a collage at some point - loispeterson@hotmail.com.

Selected titles from my reading this month:
Clementine by Sarah Pennypacker (Y)
Hilarious, quirky and outspoken Clementine is the kind of character I wish I'd invented, if I could do funny.

Escape From War: My Side of the Story by James Riordan (Y)
A story about WWII from two children's perspectives. I read it because my WIP Cuckoo's Nest is set in wartime London (WW1 in my case.) A good enough read but nothing too compelling.

Firegirl by Tony Abbott (YA)
An important book about disfigurement and kids' reaction to it.

In Zodiac Light by Robert Edrich (A)
For some reason, I'm facinated by novels set in insane asylums of the past.

No Moon by Irene Watts (Y)
Irene is a fellow BC children's writer with some impressive titles under her belt. And I'm always facinated by the way different authors approach the same historical topic - in this case the sinking of the Titanic.
Picturing Canada: a history of Canadian children's illustrating and publishing by Gail Edwards and Judy Satman (A)
This is a tome, to be sure, and an academi survey, but compelling and informative.
Plastic by Sarah N. Harvey (Y)
One boy's efforts to have an impact on the exploitation of young women undergoing plastic surgery. Funny, too. Sarah has been my editor at Orca for my first three books, and I'm fortunate to have the support of such an awesome writer.

Private Life by Jane Smiley (A)
When/if I can extricate myself from the hypnotic voice in the this novel, I'll try to step back and figure out how Smiley conveys so much so well.

A Reed Shaken by the Wind: Travels Among the Marsh Arabs of Iraq by Gavin Maxwell (A)
Best known for his wonderful RING OF BRIGHT WATER, Gavin Maxwell was one of two Gavins (the other is Gavin Young) who traveled in the Marshes with Wilfred Thesiger. One of them Thesiger enjoyed spending time with; the other he said whined the whole time (can't remember which was which). But I've recently used books by all three of these men as research sources for my WIP ESCAPE FROM THE MARSHES, and Maxwell's book I must have read a dozen times in the past forty years.
On my shelf for August reading
The Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech
Why the Whales Came by Michale Morpurgo
Esacpe From Shangi-La by Michael Morpurgo
The Locked Garden by Gloria Whelan
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
New Handbook for Storytellers by Carolyn Feller Bauer
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
Cordelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters by Lesley M. M. Blume

No comments: