Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm making a list...a Book a Week for 2009

I'm casting around for recommended reading for 2009.
My goal is to read one kids' book a week.

My reading is often pretty random - usually books I review for Resource Links, those recommended by my past colleagues at the library, and new titles by kids' writers I know. I'm wanting to compile a reading list for 2009 of juvenile literature including MG fiction, picture books and YA (no graphic novels). I prefer realistic fiction rather than fantasy or sci fi (although I admire David Almond as much as any kids' writer publishing these days, and I'd say his books verge on the magic realism).

A few I particularly enjoyed this year :

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
Skellig by David Almond
The Fire-Eaters by David Almond
Johnny Kellock Died Today by Hadley Dyer
I am a Taxi by Deborah Ellis
Mr. Karp's Last Glass by Gary Fagan
Island of Mad Scientists... by Howard Whitehouse
The Lit Report by Sarah Harvey
Love my Dog by Sharon Creech

I will be posting the list on my website once I have 52 pinned down.
Leave a comment with YOUR suggestions. As long as they are still in print or readily available at a library, I'd welcome your recommendations.

1 comment:

Tony said...

I look forward to seeing the list you refer to. I like the looks of the books you enjoyed. You have some great titles on it. May I suggest that you add my book to your list, I think that you will enjoy it. The book is called, Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping, and it is available through amazon.com/ca or through my author`s webpage www.eloquentbooks.com/KidsonaCase.html.

Tony Peters
Author of, Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping
www.eloquentbooks.com/KidsonaCase.html