Wednesday, November 05, 2008

On the Road - Day 4


LP with Principal Jill Jensen and Windermere Elementary students

Hectic day with a morning presentation to 95 elementary school students in the morning and two large groups of Grade 11s and 12s in the afternoon.

Lots of participation from various children in the morning, plus some good questions about MM405 and the whole writing process.
It's a small school with a close feeling, and in front of the gym a large mural demonstrating the school motto 'Where Children Soar'. Each child had painted a child on the landscape of Windermere Lake, and a few were keen to show me 'their' flowers and make sure I IDd the species correctly.

Two classes are reading the book, which is most heartening. I tried not to give too much away in my readings!

The afternoon groups were attentive for the most part, contributed to the discussion and were willing to talk about their work, some of which they'd brought along with them.

The teachers suggested that it's good that they hear from 'real' authors so they have a wider sense of what's involved in good writing.

A couple asked to follow up with me on their work, and the contest I'd pitched to them.

I'll be pulling together some contest guidelines once I get home, and look forward to seeing what they come up with.

A good day. Tiring. But energizing at the same time, in a way.

So now dinner and a trip to Radium for a swim and soak before heading to Kaleidoscope in Calgary. I look forward to just hanging out and having some down time, too.

The Rockies enroute to Calgary


No comments: