Thursday, March 20, 2008

This little piggie...


Is this a strange life, or wot!

So, I'm 'researching' a new picture book story idea... (the most I'll tell you right now is that to date it's called Monsieur le Porc and it features five pigs called Napolean).

And in the process I come across a website call Porcopilis - Considering the pig — a single–minded bestiary. And I'm hooked. I never knew there was so much to know, and people out there determined to know even more - about pigs.

A gazillion years ago, my friend Bab's dad kept a few. One week-end when her parents came and took us both away from boarding school for the weekend (known there and in those times as an Exeat), we went to visit them. And they attacked my shoes as soon as I edged one foot inside the fence.

I was traumatized, and retreated to the relative safety of the nearest caff where Babs' dad Ernest (I probably called him Mr. Tipson in those days) treated me to a knickerbocker glory.

Which looks like this, in case you've never encountered one.

So now I associate pigs with ice cream. Something that may well find its way into M. Le Porc - or some other story.

As I say. It's a strange world I inhabit these days. One in which memory, fnastasy, and wishful thinking collide.

1 comment:

Julie H. Ferguson said...

Still known as an "exeat" as far as I know. A good friend's children call days away and half-term exeats. They were at a boarding school in Somerset up till four years ago.

Things don't change much, do they?