Sunday, March 02, 2008

So this the Third Age?


Although I'm still on their books for another month (vacation leave), I had my last day working for Surrey Public Library on Friday, and a lovely send-off party hosted and planned by my collegues at Library Administration - Beth Barlow (front) , Melanie Houlden (far rt.), Namrit Uppal (left), Linda Bradley (2nd from left), Michael Ho, Jim Walsh, Dorothy Birak, Mary Murphy and Barbara Fialkowski.

It was a lovely relaxed evening with good food, wine, laughs, and remnsicences. (No tears... but I came close on a couple of occasions. My 'library life' will be a hard act to follow.)

In the week leading up to my last day I received some touching notes, calls, and gifts from many of the people I've worked with for the past 30 years.

But you know what they say. Plus ca change.... with nary a moment to catch my breath, the next day I was in class teaching an editing workshop.

But today is Sunday. And like the rest of the world I'm going to hang out, head out for a walk, visit a friend in hospital, and drop into the to mall to pickup a couple of things.

And prepare for work tomorrow - knowing that as I enter the Third Age, I may be 'on the pension', but I still have a part-time job to go to, AND four days a week to call my own.

Ah! The easy life! Don't I look relaxed?

No comments: