Saturday, March 15, 2008

A change of heart - Canada Council grant awarded

Yesterday I heard that I have been awarded a Canada Council grant to write the companion book/sequel to Meeting Miss 405 (which is scheduled for publication by Orca in October 2008). May blessings fall upon all Canadian taxpayers!

I am, understandably pleased (thrilled, honoured, excited, right gobsmacked!).

I was turned down last year when I applied to for a grant to write an adult novel. So instead I wrote one for children, completed in June and in November accepted for publication by Orca Book Publishers.


In October I submitted my application to Canada Council for a grant to write another book about Tansy, this time focusing on the disappearance of the mysterious 'Piggy Boy' while Tansy is spending the summer at her grandfather's house on BC's Sunshine Coast.

I was not surprised when I heard earlier this month that I had not been awarded a grant (despite my project having been 'highly recommended'). Writers far better than I also received rejections this year.

Then yesterday more mail from the CC - this time saying that program budgets have been revised and my application was successful.

I may have done just a little shrieking with excitement!

It's not just the money. It's the fact that this grant gives me a little credibility with the arts establishment, and recognizes that children's writing is worth supporting.


So now of all the projects I have on the go, I will be working on the Piggy Boy until the end of the year, now that I am, in effect, working for the Canadian taxpayers!


I gratefully acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts which last year invested $20.1 million in writing and publishing throughout Canada.

4 comments:

matushkadonna said...

Lois! Congratulations on the sales and the grant! I am proud to be one of those Canadian taxpayers! ;-)

Julie said...

I'm gobsmacked too! This is really sensational news -- many, many congratulations!!

Quit Bloglin' Me said...

Congrats...you and Piggy Boy deserve it!

Lois Peterson said...

Thanks Donna, Julie, and Linda.

I'll make sure your tax dollars are put to good use.

Lois