Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tick tock - the clock's winding down

I'm gradually working my way through my to-do list at the library as I move into my last week at the organization I've worked with for the past 31 years.

Last night I was presented with the ceremonial engraved clock (and a nice cheque) from the union. And next Friday night my colleagues are treating me to a retirement party with a green theme - which I guess means I have to get gussied up in my best thrift store clothes for the occasion!
On Tuesday the Library held its welcoming reception for playwright Mansel Robinson (seen at left with LP), Surrey Public Library's the first Writer-in-Residence. He gave a spirited reading from one of his plays, talked about plans for upcoming readings and events for Freedom to Read Week and National Theatre Day, and explained how local writers can meet with him for a consultations about their work. (All the info is here at the Library's website)

Then we all adjourned for munchies and coversation.

It was a nice evening with a good turnout. And I'm sure as the word gets out, Mansel will be flooded with writers wanting to bend his ear and get his input on their work.

No comments: