Friday, October 05, 2007

Holidays


My annual trip 'home' to visit my 'aged parents' and other relatives - all of whom live in the UK - is coming up fast, and my to-do list does not seem to be getting any shorter.

Detail from The Spirit of Haida Gwai,
pic. by Lois J. Peterson

But I do have my eye on the date - Nov. 7. By mid-afternoon that day I'll be in my favourite spot at the airport, sitting on the steps watching people interact with Bill Reid's Spirit of Haida Gwai, and knowing that whatever I've left undone will stay undone until I get back on Nov. 21.

D. is not coming with me this time - too little time, too few $$. But we are planning another trip to the UK in the spring, which will include a week in Cornwall, where I grew up. I haven't been back since the last of my relatives moved away from there. I am looking forward to dragging him up the hill to see Truro High School where I spent six years as a boarder, to my grandmother's village of Tresillian, and to the lovely Perranporth beaches where I spent many summer holidays.

We'll be staying for a week in Mevagissey, where we've rented a cottage for seven days, and from where we will be able to explore much of the peninusular - as you can get almost anywhere from anywhere in a day in Cornwall. One trip I'm looking forward to is the 35-minute ferry ride across to Fowey, where Daphne du Maurier lived - and wrote about - for many years.
My favourite DdM books are Vanishing Cornwall, and The Loving Spirit which may well be set in Fowey itself.

While I try and get through the next hectic month until I go away in November, D. is reading books about hiking COrnwall's Coastal Path, and counting sleeps until April.

2 comments:

Julie H. Ferguson said...

Lucky you! I love Cornwall and learnt to sail off Fowey.

Just back from a wonderful three day stay with childhood friend's in Somerset - they own four farms now and run an artisan cheddar operation. They have a 10th century church right in their farmyard.

The weather was stunning while I was there - I hope you have the same good fortune.

Julie

Lois Peterson said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Are you home now? Sounds like you've had some wonderful trips in the past few months.

LP