Saturday, September 01, 2007

When my writing becomes real to me

Last week I spent a wonderful ten minutes talking to a real editor on the phone this week - 'real' as in someone I have never met who was talking about my manuscript.

The upshot was/is that she will be recommending my book to the next meeting of her company's editorial board.

Never mind that it may not be until late October. Never mind that just an hour before her call I had returned from the post office where I had mailed out three complete copies of the ms. to publishers who like to bite off the whole thing right from the start, (having spent $30 at Office Depot for good copies on 24-pound bond, and a further $26 on postage).

Just the fact that a complete stranger--and an expert at that-- not only took the time to say some really nice things about the story and my writing, but that she talked about it and the issues it contains as if they existed, was enough to make my day. As if they were real and not just some kind of deluded fantasy in my addled brain. As if the book matters. And the conversation convinced me that, even if for some reason the editorial board at her company says 'no', someone thinks it is worth publishing, and so it was worth writing.

However, it is now September. And September is back to school time - which means time to teach again. Which means time to plan what I will cover in my three upcoming courses - Getting Started, Keeping Going; Writing & Selling Short & Long Nonfiction - a Primer, and Fundraising in General (and grantwriting in particular).


I have a pretty good idea about what I will include in the latter workshop.
And I have written enough grants in my time to have some useful tips to pass along.

But that doesn't help when I have to sit down and write a grant applications for myself. The BC Arts Council deadline is in just ten days, with Canada Council's coming up just two weeks later. And between now and then I have a deadline to meet for an article for The Writer, and a bunch of other deadlines nipping at my heels.


Which beggars the questions - why am I blogging when I could be working?

Fine. O.K. then. 'School' tomorrow. Must get an early night.

4 comments:

Anita Daher said...

Yay! I believe I know which editor you are talking about, and she is fabulous. Tough, but fabulous. If she's pulling for you, it's because she really believes in you, and your book.

Rita Marie Keller said...

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing more about it. Best of luck to you!

Hélène Boudreau said...

I am crisscrossing everything for you, Lois.

Hope you hear sooner, rather than later.

:-)

Lois Peterson said...

Thanks for your encouragement. (Is it October yet?) LP