Friday, January 12, 2007

Reading before writing

It's not that I'm not writing right now, just that I'm not writing what I'd like to be working on - my novel.

Instead, since the New Year (only ten days ago!) I've finished up one contract, written two queries, given one presentation to the Canadian Authors Association - Vancouver branch, prepared for another in a couple of weeks at the Sheebeen club, published the latest copy of Imprint, finalized the Mar 31 full-day event Writer's Express, and written the author profile to accomapny Carol Tulpar's piece which will appear in the Feb. issue of the Arts Council of Surrey's newsletter Spotlight.

But that's no excuse.

I have been reading, though. Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees, The Bingo Queens of Paradise by June Park, Marrying the Mistress by Joanna Trollope, Susan Shreve's Sea Glass, Betrayal by Claire Francis, and The Seige by Helen Dunmore. All good stuff. All of which get 8-10 in my book for voice and characterization.

But it's time to write.

Starting next week I'm going to maintain this blog as my version of 'A Journal of a Novel' - not quite Steinbeck, but perhaps worth watching for anyone who wants to share the struggle.


No comments: